Latest Press and Newspapers
The report into Wormwood Scrubs prison by HM Inspector of Prisons highlights the challenges faced by the government in its stated intent to commit to a sustained prison reform agenda.
The report, following the prison’s inspection during November and December 2015, describes an institution in dire and desperate need. Hardly any progress had been made since the previous inspection 18 months earlier.
It found that safety had deteriorated, levels of violence and official use of force were twice as high as comparative prisons and there had been two suicides since the last inspection. The majority of the prisoners were locked in their cells for more than 22 hours a day and the prison had a “significant rat problem”.
Furthermore, the impact of the privatisation of large sections of the Probation Service is laid bare with the revelation that the proportion of prisoners being made homeless on release has risen from 5% to 40% since resettlement services were taken over by London Community Rehabilitation Company. In understated language, deputy chief inspector Martin Lomas, says the prison “continues to fall short of expected standards”. read more...
UAE Ministry of Labour has issued a new set of rules through 3 new Decrees: Ministerial Decree 764, Ministerial Decree 765 and Ministerial Decree 766. I feel these Decrees are a big development in the Labour Law which clarify important issues of the Labour Law. These Decrees will become effective January 1, 2016.
The three Ministerial Decrees are as follows:
- Ministerial Decree 764: Standard Work Contracts
Ministerial decree (764) of 2015 on Ministry of Labour-approved Standard Employment Contracts
The Minister of Labour: Upon consulting Federal Law (8) of 1980 and its amendments governing labour relations; and Council of Ministers’ Decree (40) of 2014 on fees and penalties associated with Ministry of Labour provided services. read more...
- Ministerial Decree 765: Termination of Limited Contract and Unlimited Contract
Minister of Labour’s decree (765) of 2015 on Rules and Conditions for the Termination of Employment Relations
The Minister of Labour: Upon consulting Federal Law (1) of 1972 on the mandates of ministries and the powers granted to ministers; and of Federal Law (8) of 1980 and its amendments governing labour relations. read more...
- Ministerial Decree 766: Granting of New Work Permits
Ministerial Decree (766) of 2015 on Rules and Conditions for granting a permit to a worker for employment by a new employer.
The Minister of Labour:
- Upon review of Federal Law (1) of 1972 on the mandates of ministries and the powers granted to ministers and of Federal Law (8) of 1980 and its amendments on the regulation of labour relations;
- And of the Council of Ministers’ Decree (25) of 2010 on internal work permits that are granted by the Ministry of Labour to workers who are active in the labour market;
- And of Decree (826) of 2005 issued by the minister of Labour on rules implementing the transfer of sponsorship;
- And of Ministerial decree (707) of 2006 on terms and procedures for granting non-nationals permits to engage in employment in the UAE;
- And of ministerial Decree (724) of 2006 on administrative termination of sponsorships;
- And of Ministerial Decree (1186) of 2010 on the rules and conditions for granting permission to a worker whose employment relation has ended to work for a new employer;
- And of Ministerial Decree (422) of 2015 on the rules and conditions governing the termination of an employment relation.
- read more...