Special meaning when used formally refers to the fixed or restricted interpretation of certain words or phrases allowed in certain matters.
Simple Definition of special
- - different from what is normal or usual; especially : unusual in a good way : better or more important than others
- - especially important or loved
- - more than is usual
adj. Euphemism for having a disability, esp. a behavioral or mental disability; low-functioning mental retardation in particular. Synonyms: different, feeble-minded, retarded.
Full Definition of special
- 1 : distinguished by some unusual quality; especially : being in some way superior our special blend
- 2 : held in particular esteem
- 3 : readily distinguishable from others of the same category : unique they set it apart as a special day of thanksgiving; of, relating to, or constituting a species : specific
- 4 : being other than the usual : additional, extra
- 5 : designed for a particular purpose or occasion
Examples of special in a sentence
- 1. This is a special case and I want you to handle it personally.
- 2. Only under special circumstances will you be allowed to retake the test.
- 3. Your many years of service put you in a special category.
- 4. Why should you receive any special treatment?
- 5. It takes a special quality to do what he did.
- 6. This is a very special occasion.
- 7. Are you doing anything special over the holidays?
- 8. We have a special guest tonight—the mayor.
- 9. No one is more special to me than my wife.
- 10. He always made her feel special.